My Morning Routine

Tuesday, October 25, 2016


I have shared before about a day in my life but I wanted to share my morning routine. I love seeing other's daily routines and I am pretty happy with mine currently, aside from the fact that I can never seem to get to work by 7am. I love finding new efficiencies but I also love not being rushed in the morning! I don't like going to work stressed so I definitely "piddle" (Sam's word haha) in the morning, but I am okay with that!
I wake up at 4:57am. My favorite number is 7. One time a favorite quarterback of mine (whose jersey number was 7) said he set all alarms to end in a 7. So I've been setting all alarms (and a lot of timers) to end in a seven for the past 8 years or so. Typically I snooze for 10-30 minutes... Oops.

Whenever I decide to stop snoozing I give Sam a kiss and get out of bed. I go downstairs, stop half way and look at the front and back door - to ensure there are no intruders. Is anyone else as paranoid as me?



When I get downstairs I turn on the lights, light a candle and start our Moccamaster. I typically clean up or organize something in the kitchen while our coffee is brewing, which doesn't take very long. Then I sit down an have my quiet time. I spend time praying, reading the Bible and journalling. I recently read this article which encouraged me to read the Bible like a book versus reading chapter to chapter. I also check some inspiration from Nancy Ray's morning routine, which mostly gave me the idea of lighting a candle which I love! I already said this but taking the time to slow down in the morning definitely makes a difference in my day!

After my quiet time I go back upstairs and get ready for the day. I've started showering the night before because I workout after work and it saves a lot of time in the morning. I also make my breakfast the night before and eat it once I get to work. I make something my brother made up that he calls "breakfast sludge" and I love it!

Breakfast Sludge:
1/2 cup one minute oats
1 cup water
1 scoop of protein powder (currently obsessed with Muscle Milk Cookies and Creme, I want to try their Graham Cracker flavor next!)

Combine the oats and water and microwave for 1 minute. Add protein powder. Mix. Put it in the microwave for another 20 seconds. The longer it stays in the fridge the better (more yogurt like) it gets (disclaimer: I have never kept it in the fridge for more than 4 days so I'm not sure what it's like after that).

Breakfast sludge for the win!

At some point in the morning I wake Sam up and pack our lunches. I usually leave for work around 7am. My goal is always to leave by 6:30am, but I can't seem to make that happen. Currently I refuse to set my alarm any earlier but... I'm not sure if I get consistent with not snoozing at 5am I met slowly push it back to earlier. If I set out my work clothes the night before that helps, but I am also not great about doing that.

What does your morning routine look like!? Share all your shortcuts because I need them!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!